Friday, November 14, 2014

A House Is Not A Home Without A Cat

Growing up, there were always more pets than people in the house. Having pets was simply a part of my life and a big part at that. When I was young, my mom and I decided to get a cat to add to the family because I was an only child and wanted a companion. One cat let to two then the decision to get a dog became a part of the picture. By the time I graduated from high school, we had two cats, two dogs and a hamster who ran the house. Since I was moving in University residence, I was going to have to live without pets for the first time in 17 years. I knew in the back of my mind I was eventually going to have a pet of my own but this was a decision that seemed far, far away.

After completing third year at University, I decided to stay for the summer to get ahead on a couple courses and work in the city. I was living in my own place with a couple of roommates and had been working consistently part-time to pay for my expenses. My roommates had all decided to head home for the summer so I realized I was going to be living entirely on my own for the very first time, no parents, roommates or pets in the house. The idea of this made me a little home sick but I couldn't turn back now, I had registered for my classes and started a new job. That's when it hit me, I needed to have a pet in the house to keep me company. 

Purchasing a pet is a very high involvement purchase. Animals are not objects that can be set aside when they are not needed, they need constant care and dedication as well as create a continuous cost. When I first thought about the idea of getting a pet I needed to decide whether I was going to get a cat or a dog. Initially, I wanted a dog. I didn't really think about all the time and responsibility a dog takes and just though about having a cute puppy running around the house. 


One night, I decided to really sit down and think about all factors included in purchasing a pet. First I looked at all costs, time needed, where they would go when I was out of town and how my roommates would also react. Among these points, many other factors were included in my decision process. After such a long thought process I decided that a cat would best meet my needs and budget for the time being. At this time, my attitude towards getting a cat became internalized - he way now going to be a part of my values and a big part of my life.

Looking back on it, my attitude for getting a cat was always a positive one. I always knew in the back of my mind that I wanted a cat and had the time and money to do so. If I were getting a pet that required less time and effort or did not take up as much of my life, my attitude towards this decision would have been less intense and potentially less positive. What I will always remember is that if my initial attitude is not solely positive and strong, it is not something that I absolutely have to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment